The VIC pre-calculates ingredient amounts in order to dramatically speed-up performance. This article describes how its done and why AJAX would be the absolute worst way of doing dynamic calculations on a complex set of variables.
Once the Ingredient Report is loaded…
Normally, Autovist broadcasts every hour at a random time within the hour. I created a new Twitter account for Autovist itself, but don’t want hourly tweets yet until we build up at least 100 messages. Autovist already has a built in check to make sure the same tweet is not broadcasted within the same 12-hour period. But I wanted to add some randomized behavior on top of that:
One of my very favorite things about Autovist is building randomness into it and never knowing what it will do next. This makes it endlessly fascinating for me. When I was a 9 years old and building up a record collection, I began having a big problem…
Isn’t just awful when a great link you’ve been sharing breaks? Perhaps the content has been removed or the website has been reorganized. As busy online activists, we don’t have the time to check all the links we share. Especially when we use Autovist and have thousands of tweets in our knowledge-base, checking links becomes unmanageable.
I’ve always found working with time zones to be a bit confusing. Here is a simple way to convert from UTC to any time zone.
Today, I whipped together a simple, effective parental control script for our shared Macbook Air. For many months, our homeschooled son has been easily distracted by videos and messages when he is supposed to be working hard on crafting a good paragraph. Apples parental controls are a massive #FAIL – deselecting the default apps do not work and you cannot just simply turn off the Internet.
Twitter added extended tweet mode to their API and screwed up Autovist. Autovist helps you build a massive knowledge base by importing your tweets every night. When importing a tweet with a photo, Autovist has always been able to tweet it again and again looking exactly like the original tweet. It worked perfectly for years.
But then Twitter “enhanced” its API and returned different results by default. What was originally tweeted like this:
I spent a good 45 minutes puzzled as to why byebug wasn’t working from within a gem I’m debugging. Even more confusing was that when I set byebug in the gem code along with some debugging code, and stepped into the gem, I saw my code edits along with the call to byebug… but the new code was never reached, it was as if it was being skipped right over. Odd.
Went for a cup of coffee and to ponder this….
Finally, I figured out that spring was preloading the app and keeping the gems loaded – even after I changed the gem code.
For now, I’m going to keep spring disabled by setting DISABLE_SPRING=1 in my .env file.
While debugging Autovist today, I wanted to see what methods the Tweet object supported (from the Twitter gem, which wraps the Twitter API) in order to figure out why the message was null. As you can see below, it doesn’t have a nice way of dumping out all values for inspection. 🙁